When I first found out I was expecting twins I could not stay off the internet. My search history consisted only of how to "survive" having newborn twins. But I really didn't want to survive the first few months of motherhood with twins, I wanted to really enjoy my time with them. I didn't want my newborn time to be a complete blur just because there was two of them. It seemed, though, that I could only find advice for survival.
Well, I'm almost 4 months into this motherhood thing, and 4 months into this twin motherhood thing, and I really feel like these 5 tips have helped me truly embrace and enjoy my time with my sweet babies. I hope you find hope and encouragement if you are knee deep in doubt of your ability to parent two newborns. You CAN do this, you are superwoman. Or superman. Seriously.
- Do what makes you feel good while your babies sleep. For me, this is a 4 minute makeup routine - seriously, I have it down to a science. Slowly, as our routine fell into place, it became yoga, then makeup. For you, this might be a 10 minute power clean of your living space, reading the newspaper or one page of a novel, have a cat nap... whatever makes you feel more like yourself, because friends, that is seriously the key to enjoying this time with your babes. You have to feel like you first.
- Get dressed every morning. This might not mean putting jeans on, cause Lord knows I rarely find myself squeezing myself into a pair of those (do I even own a pair that fits?). Leggings and a t-shirt, that's all it takes! This will help you feel like you've started your day, no matter how tired you are, you'll feel a little bit more put together than if you spend all day, every day in your pjs (I just realized my shirt is on inside out, but hey, I tried and that feels pretty good).
- Schedule. Okay, I know you've read this one everywhere. But seriously, try your best to make this work. I will be posting our schedule soon, it is probably the number one thing that helps keep the babies happy, which keeps mama happy.
- Order your groceries. Click and Collect and Superstore has literally changed my life. This way, I order the food and Kyle swings by the store on his way home from work to pick it up. If this didn't come into my life, I would be eating delivery for every single meal, which sounds good at first but not after the first few weeks. Just trust me on this.
- Be confident. Do things on your own, even when you have the help. This way, when you really are on your own, you know you can handle it - because trust me, you can.
Alright mamas. I am rooting for you, you are strong, and you can do this. Most importantly, these babies will bring you so much joy, so much wonder, and so much love. If you're expecting twins and you're doubting any of these things, please scroll through my posts about our life with our twin girls. I hope they bring you hope and excitement, this will be your most amazing adventure yet.
Take good care, lovelies.